A kind of survey I guess...
I'm new here and I'm a bit confused about the whole critique thing, so I want to get some sort of handle on where people stand. So I have a few questions:
1. Do you like getting honest, constructive critique on your work? For instance, if people have suggestions/opinions that could help you improve your work, do you appreciate being informed? Even if the comments aren't totally positive, critique is a positive tool but it also identifies our weaknesses so it can be a difficult thing to accept.
2. Is anyone else intimidated by the idea of giving honest critique and opinions on other people's work?
3. Do you think the majority of people appreciate having their worked critiqued?
I just want to get an idea on the comments system, like I said I'm new here so it's a bit confusing.
1. Yes! I think it's extremely valuable to get an objective opinion on your work, even if it isn't always a positive one. It's a good way to see what areas you need to work on, and ways to make your work better.
It also has more value than any "nice" or "cool" comment, because it seems like the person spent more time evaluating the piece. I think the objectivity of it might be the best part, you don't always see flaws in your work that other people do. I personally don't even mind if someone tells me my work sucks, as long as they take the time to back it up.
2. Yes, obviously. I half expect to be flamed by someone that doesn't care for my opinion. I'm not about to bash someone's work, ever, that isn't cool. But let's face it, sometimes you see things that could be improved, so I'm always wondering whether it's better to mention those things or just not. Also, I'm not that good at what I do so I don't want to seem pretentious.
3. No idea, this is why I have the survey up. If they're anything like me I would assume that it's welcome, but I really don't know.
I have a few ideas about this, there doesn't seem to be much real critique happening in the fractal community here (that I'm seeing anyway) so I thought it might be useful to get a few people together that are open to critique on their work and/or giving critique on other people's works. I think it could be really useful in helping people improve, develop their own styles, all of that fun stuff. I don't think you have to be particularly good at what you do to give critique on it, anyone can give a subjective/outside opinion.
Does anyone else have any opinions about this?
---Another war perspective, worth a read: [link]